-- site was getting slower & slower
-- revjim did a lot of work to make site use database slaves more often. basically we have to go through each query and decide if it's critical that it runs against the master database.
-- we worked on a ton of other code (all on our development servers)
-- idiots started to complain that all the changes we'd been making weren't helping. Um, yean... that's because we develop on test servers, not on the main site.
-- I turned off new account creation yesterday to stop growth while we worked on things.
-- site got worse. (master database was overloaded)
-- we gave in and decided to update the site with the new code. there were tons of little problem.
-- now, slave dbs were the busy ones. this is good, especially since we have 2 more on the way, due to arrive on the 1st.
-- we made one of the existing 4 db slaves be a paid member only one, and it seems to be doing good now. (this was a half hour ago)
From here, we're making more code be multi-db aware and we're waiting patiently for the new servers to arrive. We also ordered another 3 gb of memory for various machines, and we're going to be rebuilding the existing db slaves with a new configuration once we have the new ones installed to take up the slack.
Anyway, here's another 10 days of free time.
Just wanted to let you all know that we didn't forget about you ... the guilt of knowing paid members are getting screwed is what keeps us up until 8am in the morning.