Automatic Voice Post TranscriptionAs you know, voice posts can be transcribed so that they can be read as well as heard. In your settings, you can allow transcriptions by all of your friends, a friends group, or you only.
Starting this week, public voice posts shorter than three minutes will automatically be transcribed thanks to technology provided by a company called SpinVox.
We'd like to invite Paid members to help us test out the new auto-transcription service. Here's how to do it:
- Make sure your voice post settings are up-to-date and then dial in to a designated voice post number in your area. We recently added toll-free number in the U.S.: (888) 840-6189 or (888) LJ-VPOST (558-7678).
- Record a voice post to your journal.
- Your voice post will be automatically transcribed by SpinVox. Be patient, it can take up to 10 minutes for the transcription to show up. Your friends can still transcribe the post as well -- the most recent transcription will appear at the top of your post. You can enable or disable automatic transcription in your settings at any time.
- How did it work? As you can see from frank's latest voice post, it auto-transcribes everything it understands (which doesn't include "Baa" or unintelligible yelling). Let us know how it worked for you in the comments (be sure to include a link to your post!). We'll also roll out the auto-transcription to Plus members later this week.
Free MOO Cards!Have you ever wanted some personal cards with your LJ username on them? MOO Cards, a new kind of printing business based in London, has created a way for LJ users to make MiniCards with your own text and ScrapBook photos. (frank thinks they should be called BAA cards. He just doesn't get it.)
Think of the MiniCards as cards you hand out to keep in touch with friends or new people you meet. Photo MiniCards let you display your ScrapBook images, or choose Text MiniCards to display your own text, URL, mood or catch phrase.
To kick things off, MOO is giving away 10,000 free 10-packs of MiniCards to LiveJournal members! Any LJ member can get a free sample pack, but we wanted Paid members to have the first opportunity to make their own cards. Here's how to do it:
- Add moocards as your friend. You must be a friend of moocards to get your free sample pack (but you're welcome to un-friend their journal after you have completed your order).
- Follow the link from the LJ Gift Shop to the LiveJournal page in the MOO shop (http://www.moo.com/livejournal). (Update: We're driving a lot of traffic to MOO right now, so be patient if the site loads slowly or is unavailable for portions of time.)
- Choose either photo cards (using your ScrapBook photos) or text cards, and click on the "Get a free 10 pack" link.
- You'll be able to create each individual card. Select photos or text on the front side, then personalize the back with a userpic and whatever contact information you'd like: your journal URL, community URL, email address, phone number, LJ user number, anything you want!
- After your finish your order, MOO will ship your MiniCards right to your address, anywhere in the world.
If you like your sample 10-pack, you can buy a 100 pack of cards and a portion of the proceeds will go to support LiveJournal. The 100 pack of MiniCards costs $19.99 / €14.99 / £9.99 and comes in a sturdy, reusable and recyclable plastic box. These MiniCards will be sold through a link in the LJ Gift Shop, but do note that MOO (not LiveJournal) will be handling the transaction and mailing out the cards to you.
The offer for the free 10 packs is open to all LJ account levels, so feel free to tell your friends! We'll announce the free offer to the entire LJ community later this week, but you heard it here first.