|LiveJournal's new notifications system
||[Sep. 5th, 2006|03:02 pm]
Today we launched LiveJournal's new notifications system to Paid members. The notifications system will soon be launching to all LJ users, but we wanted to give Paid account holders a chance to use it early. (Permanent account holders already have been using it in a sneak preview, so you can hit them up for pointers!)|
With the new system, you can set up notifications for all types of things including when someone adds you as a friend. Go to the Manage Settings page to set your preferences. Also look for the icon in profile pages and journals to track updates and changes. Just check in to your Message Center to keep up to date on the LJ activity that's most important to you.
Paid and Permanent account holders have the most subscriptions available and also have the extra options to get notified when a user uploads a new userpic and when users add new comments to individual comment threads. We'll also be expanding the types of subscriptions that are available only to Paid users over the coming months. Visit the FAQ to find out the different limits and options for each account level.
Please feel free to spread the word to other Paid account holders you know. The engineers are still working out bugs in this complex system, but if you find something you think we should know about please leave your feedback on this post in lj_releases.
Firstoff, I think notifications are great. But why are birthday notifications not included in that? That feature has been broken for far too long!
When will permanent accounts be sold again? I don't think that it's fair that permanent accounts get to try new features out first if the permanent account isn't something that's available to someone all of the time, like paid accounts are. I have wanted to become a permanent account for a long time but there's been no opportunity recently.
Why is there a feature for icon notification and not for when someone defriends you? I think defriending notifications are as important as friending notifications, right? I hate to keep people on my list if they've defriended me, but it's hard to tell sometimes.
Will there be a way to block other people from getting notifications about me uploading a new user picture? I don't want people to automatically know when I update my user pics.
I can try to go through these roughly in order!
* Birthday notifications aren't included because they require a bit more complex system to be built in. Right now, everything you can subscribe to it something that's triggered by another person doing something on the site. You post a comment, I get a notification; you upload a userpic, someone gets a notification, etc. Birthday notifications are tricky because the person generating the notification (the person whose birthday it is) doesn't have to explicitly do anything on the site. We're looking into ways we can manage to work these in, though.
* Permanent accounts. I don't know when they'll be sold again, so I can't help you there. About letting them see this first: one of the reasons we opened it up to permanent account users first is that we had built *all* of the infrastructure for this system, specifically for this system, so we wanted to open it up to a smaller group, first. (That way, we could identify any problems with the system before we open it up to all paid users, or even all users.)
* Icon notification: this was just a small little thing that we wanted to work in -- something that's quick to do but would give people an idea of the things we could set up notifications for. We didn't set up defriending notices 'cause we were afraid of the drama factor. *grin* I think it might be on the list of things to look into later, though; I'll double-check.
* No way to block people from getting notifications. Right now, the general privacy/anti-stalking rule is that people can only subscribe to things they'd readily see anyway. So in the case of userpics, they could just as easily refresh your userpics page, so there's no "privacy" setting that we need to maintain. That's the general rule for the things here -- you can't get extra visibility into things you can't otherwise see, but you do get easier visibility into the things you already can find on the site.
Thank you for your replies. I really hope that permanent accounts will become available again. I'll have to sit tight until then, I suppose..... ^^;; I look forward to the other features.
Eeps... I hope that there will be a way to see who has my icons on notification, then... because if anybody does, I probably won't update them often. It's too creepy for me, and to think that someone would spend the time on my icon page checking and checking... Very very creepy. x.x I read through some other people's comments now, and I agree that it does seem a little bit like stalking sometimes. o.o;;
If a person starts using a new icon then I notice it. I would assume that you intend to use your icons - which means that people allready know what they are and if you have a new one without even having to go to your (public) icon list page.
It's the internet. If you put *anything* on it someone will find it and read it. If you put things on it without even a minimal attempt at security then half the world will find it and read it if they care to try.
Yeah, but getting an email is a lot more private than the joule page that anyone can check. Not to mention more convenient.
I doubt that many people look at other people's Joule list. Besides, theres's a limit to how many times you can use the service in a day.
Do you like, own marnanel.org or something? That's like the fifth time you've directed someone to that site.
Not that that site isn't really useful or anything.
Hahaha, no. I just have it in my bookmarks. :)
You've suggested Joule several times in response to people who want notification of deFriending. While I agree that it mostly does the job for now, there are reasons why it's not the complete answer:
1) It's an unofficial service rather than an official LJ one. That means that Marnanel (Thomas!) might choose to remove access at any time, that the machine he hosts it on might go down, that he might not renew his domain (admittedly unlikely) or any of a thousand other reasons why it might cease to exist. Furthermore, it's not something that we can request support from LJ for. I would like LJ, possibly working with Thomas, to include the functionality of the service as part of the officially supported LJ package, but I can't imagine this being anything but a very low priority item indeed.
2) Joule doesn't always work. I checked Joule on 21st August and it didn't add a row to the table presented with the day's events. It definitely updated the Joule database that day, but I was defriended by somebody that day and I haven't been able to work out who :-( (Admittedly this is the only time Joule hasn't worked for me.)
It usually takes 24 hours or a little more to update, I've noticed.
Hey if I'd read all of that, I wouldn't sound retarded right now. :x
Um. So maybe it was just a bug. *hides in shame*
So check it again. It might work now.
Birthdays of friends: I set up a private entry for that a LONG time ago! :P